Our team can advise you on:
- applications for a new premises licence
- variation applications amending an existing premises licence
- minor variation applications amending an existing premises licence
- bringing or defending premises licence review applications
- the licensing objectives and mandatory or appropriate licensing conditions
- regulatory enforcement and compliance
- transfer applications to transfer an existing premises licence
- applications to vary a designated premises supervisor
- submission of temporary event notices
- gaming machine permits
There are no identical licensing applications and each case is different and ultimately the cost will depend on the individual circumstances of each matter and the level of support you require.
To give you a close idea of the costs involved in your application, it is correct to categorise the applications as follows:
- Simple application: £900.00 to £1,200.00 plus VAT (based on approximately 3 to 4 hours at an hourly rate of £275.00 to £300.00)
- Medium complexity: £3,000.00 to £5,000.00 plus VAT (based on approximately 12 to 16 hours at an hourly rate of £275.00 to £300.00)
- High complexity: £5,000.00 to £10,000.00 plus VAT (based on approximately 25 to 30 hours at an hourly rate of £275.00 to £300.00).
Fixed fee example for an application for a new premises licence or the variation of an existing premises licence (simple application)
Fixed fee of £1,080.00 – £1,440.00 (including VAT but excluding disbursements)
This fee is made up of:
- Legal fees £900.00 – £1200.00
- VAT on legal fees £180.00 (if the fee is £900.00) and £240.00 (if the fee is £1,200.00)
This range is based on a straightforward application where pre-application consultation with the licensing authority and responsible authorities is not required, there are no representations made against the application and the application does not proceed to a licensing committee hearing.
If however additional steps need to be taken, or the matter is more complicated due to, for example, representations from the responsible authorities or a neighbour, costs might exceed the range provided. If this is the case, we will advise you on the estimated additional costs as soon as we become aware and give you our best estimate whether your application is of medium or high complexity.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as the application fee. We will pay the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
- Application fee (payable to licensing authority) £TBC*
- Advertising fee £TBC*
- Enquiry agent fees to display public notices £TBC*
*These fees vary depending on the individual premises and where it is located. The fees can on occasion be higher than the ranges given above. We will give you an accurate figure for each item as soon as we are able to do so.
- Taking your instructions and advising you as to how you can promote the licensing objectives within your application
- Advising you as to the type of plans you are required to submit with your application.
- Completing the application form for a new premises licence (including the operating schedule) in accordance with your instructions and submitting this to the local licensing authority alongside suitable plans. You must provide suitable plans.
- Providing guidance on the fee levels payable to the licensing authority.
- Preparing copies of the premises licence application for disclosure to the responsible authorities and serving copies of the application on the responsible authorities.
- Drafting the notices advertising the premises licence application and submitting the notice to the local newspaper.
- Arranging with you for you to display the notice(s) advertising the premises licence application and advising as to where and how this should be done by you in order to comply with the requirements of the Licensing Act 2003.
- Providing a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) consent form for signature by a personal licence holder proposed by yourself.
- Checking the licence once granted and correcting any errors with the licensing authority.
The fee does not include:
- obtaining suitable plans
- attending pre-consultation meetings with the Licensing Authority or Responsible Authorities, nor their fee for this meeting.
- dealing with or advising you in relation to queries or representations received from either the responsible authorities or other interested parties
- advising on varying the licence
- attendance and representation at a licensing sub-committee hearing of the responsible authority. If representations are received and attendance and representation at a licensing sub-committee is required then we will provide a separate fee estimate for this work which will be charged at an hourly rate.
How long will my application take?
Matters usually take approximately 2 to 3 monthsfrom receipt of full instructions and supporting documentation from you. This is on the basis of the application being relatively straightforward,you being able to provide all the necessary documents promptly and the licensing authority promptly dealing with the application. If your matter is more complex, for example, if there is substantial opposition from interested parties, or if there is a delay in receiving the documents we need, it may take longer.